Thank you to everyone that participated in this consultation during April/May 2023. All of your feedback and submissions were collated and presented to Council in a report on 18 July 2023 (see agenda here - refer Item 9.1) where the updated by-laws were approved. These by-laws will come into effect in November 2023.
The Local Government Act 1999 section 251 outlines that local government by-laws expire on 1 January of the year following the seventh anniversary of the day on which the by-law was gazetted.
Five council by-laws will expire on 1 January 2024:
- By-law 1 Permits and penalties: A by-law to create a permit system for council by-laws, to fix maximum and continuing penalties for offences, and for the creation of new by-laws.
- By-law 2 Movable signs: A by-law to set standards for moveable signs on roads and to provide conditions for the placement of such signs for the purpose of visual amenity and public safety.
- By-law 3 Roads: A by-law to regulate certain activities on roads in the council area.
- By-law 4 Local Government land: A by-law to regulate the access to and use of Local Government land (other than roads), and certain public places.
- By-law 6 Foreshore: A by-law for the management of the foreshores in the council area.
The Dogs By-law was reviewed in 2022.
The review process must be completed by August 2023 to allow sufficient time to complete all requirements for commencement by 1 January 2024.